On 01/14/2014 09:27 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
Excerpts from Prasad Vellanki's message of 2014-01-14 18:41:46 -0800:
Steve

I did not mean to have custom solution at all. In fact that would be
terrible.  I think Heat model of software config and deployment is really
good. That allows configurators such as Chef, Puppet, Salt or Ansible to be
plugged into it and all users need to write are modules for those.

What I was  thinking is if there is a way to use software config/deployment
  to do initial configuration of the appliance by using agentless system
such  as Ansible or Salt, thus requiring no cfminit. I am not sure this
will work either, since it might require ssh keys to be installed for
getting ssh to work without password prompting. But I do see that ansible
and salt support username/password option.
If this would not work, I agree that the best option is to make them
support cfminit...
Ansible is not agent-less. It just makes use of an extremely flexible
agent: sshd. :) AFAIK, salt does use an agent though maybe they've added
SSH support.

Anyway, the point is, Heat's engine should not be reaching into your
machines. It talks to API's, but that is about it.

What you really want is just a VM that spins up and does the work for
you and then goes away once it is done.
Good thinking. This model might work well without introducing the "groan another daemon" problems pointed out elsewhere in this thread that were snipped. Then the "modules" could simply be heat templates available to the Heat engine to do the custom config setup.

The custom config setup might still be a problem with the original constraints (not modifying images to inject SSH keys).

That model wfm.

Regards
-steve