On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 17:41 +0900, NOTSU Arata wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to add a new configuration option for Neutron OVS agent. Although
> I've submitted a patch and it is being reviewed [1], I'm posting to this
> mailing list seeking opinion from a wider range.
>
> At present, when you deploy an environment using Neutron + OVS + GRE/VXLAN,
> you have to set local_ip for tunnelling in neutron agent config (typically
> ovs_neutron_plugin.ini). As each host has different local_ip, preparing and
> maintaining the config files is a cumbersome work.
>
> So, I would like to introduce automatic configuration of local_ip in Neutron.
> Although such a management should be done by some management system, Neutron
> having this feature cloud be also helpful to the deployment system. It would
> reduce the need for the systems to implement such a feature on their own.
>
> Anyway, with this feature, instead of setting an actual IP address to
> local_ip, you set some options (criteria) for choosing an IP address suitable
> for local_ip among IP addresses assigned to the host. At runtime, OVS agent
> will choose an IP address according to the criteria. You will get the same
> effect as you set local_ip=<the IP address> by hand.
>
> The question is, what criteria is appropriate for the purpose. The criteria
> being mentioned so far in the review are:
>
> 1. assigned to the interface attached to default gateway
> 2. being in the specified network (CIDR)
> 3. assigned to the specified interface
>    (1 can be considered a special case of 3)
>
> Any comment would be appreciated.

Hi Arata,

I definitely understand the thoughts behind your patch. However, I
believe this falls under the realm of configuration management tools
(Chef/Puppet/Ansible/Salt/etc).

As an example of how the OpenStack Chef cookbooks deal with this
particular problem, we inject a local_ip variable into the
ovs_neutron_plugin.ini.erb template [1]. This local_ip variable is
assigned in the common.rb recipe [2]. The deployer can either manually
set the local_ip to an address by setting the node's attribute directly,
or the deployer can have the local_ip address determined based on a
named network interface. See the code at [2] for this switching
behavior.

In summary, I believe it's best left to configuration management systems
to do this type of thing (configuration of many nodes in a structured
fashion), instead of having Neutron do this itself.

Best,
-jay

[1]
https://github.com/stackforge/cookbook-openstack-network/blob/master/templates/default/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini.erb#L111