Thanks for starting this!  Comments in-line:

Hi folks,

when I was getting feedback on wireframes and we talked about Roles,
there were various objections and not much suggestions. I would love to
call for action and think a bit about the term for concept currently
known as Role (= Resource Category).

Definition:
Role is a representation of a group of nodes, with specific behavior.

I don't think this is technically correct; according to the wireframes, a 'Role'
is a representation of a group of Heat resources from an overcloud stack - a
Controller Resource, Compute Resource, etc.  Free nodes have no Role.

I'd further disagree that the resource category is a group of nodes. It's a *definition* of what can be put onto a node. Then there will be nodes who are deployed with that resource category. The nodes themselves aren't part of the category, they just, for lack of a better term, use it.

Each role contains (or will contain):
* one or more Node Profiles (which specify HW which is going in)
* association with image (which will be provisioned on new coming nodes)
* specific service settings

There's also likely a versioning component that we haven't fully figured out yet.

So far suggested terms:
* Role *
    - short name - plus points
    - quite overloaded term (user role, etc)

Role immediately conjures up auth-related concepts in my head, so I think it has too many existing connotations to be used here.

* Resource Category *
    - pretty long (devs already shorten it - confusing)
    - Heat specific term

That's why I suggested this term after others objected to Role; it seems to me
that whatever term we use should have the world 'Resource' in it, in order to
make the correspondence clear.

More than most people I've complained about having to type our "resource category" and my abbreviation of "res cat" is kinda lame. That said, I don't have any other ideas so by default I'm for sticking with what we have. :D

Mainn

* Resource Class *
    - older term

Are there any other suggestions (ideally something short and accurate)?
Or do you prefer any of already suggested terms?

Any ideas are welcome - we are not very good in finding the best match
for this particular term.

Thanks
-- Jarda