Jay Pipes <jaypi...@gmail.com> wrote on 01/21/2014 08:50:36 PM:

> aggregate based
> > > isolation.  I also think this is a different use case from
> reservations.   It's
> > > *mostly* like a new scheduler hint, but because it has billing
> impacts I think it
> > > needs to be more than just that - for example the ability to request
> > > dedicated instance is something that should be controlled by a
> specific role.

Please help me see this clear water.  At the icehouse summit I heard the
concern that without reservations there will be an unacceptably high
probability that a nova-boot request will be unsatisfiable due to lack of
hosts that are fully idle.  Why is that not a concern now?

> > > IMHO, this model is interesting but hard to use for operators,
> because they
> > > don't have visibility on the capacity.  ...

In what sense do operators not have visibility on the capacity?

> Yup, agreed. It's difficult to guess what the capacity implications
> would be without having solid numbers on customer demands for this
> functionality, including hard data on how long such instances would
> typically live (see my previous point about re-using compute hosts for
> other purposes once the last dedicated instance is terminated on that
> host).

That is what I find hardest about designing stuff for general purpose use
--- we get to assume little about the usage.

Thanks,
Mike