On 02/03/2014 07:36 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
On 02/02/2014 08:33 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
On Sun, 2014-02-02 at 07:13 -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
Just noticed this at the end of a successful run:

http://logs.openstack.org/15/63215/13/check/check-tempest-dsvm-full/2636cae/console.html#_2014-02-02_12_02_44_422

It looks like the merge of oslo.messaging brings a huge amount of false
negative error messages in the logs. Would be good if we didn't ship
icehouse with this state of things.

Agreed.

And the error messages, which look like this:

Returning exception Unexpected task state: expecting [u'scheduling',
None] but the actual state is deleting to caller

don't make sense -- at least in the English language.

What does "the actual state is deleting to caller" mean?

I'm going to try to translate, with no real context:

I'm trying to return a state to the caller. While trying to do that, I've encountered an unexpected task state. I was expecting the state to be [u'scheduling', None'] but instead I seem to have discovered that the state was in fact, deleting. I'm freaked out by this, so instead of returning a task state to the caller, I'm going to return an exception.

If the above is correct, I'd say that this is pretty terrible. We probably don't need to log that we're returning a state. That's crazy detailed. If we _do_ encounter an exception, we probably shouldn't encapsulate the exception state and try to return it as the state text.

That said - I actually have no idea what's going on here. :)
I don't either, but this is why we started failing gate jobs that put unexpected errors in the logs even though all tests "passed". Unfortunately I hear that the log-errors-failing-jobs feature was reverted as part of the recent process of restoring the gate to health. Is restoring that behavior on the radar screen?

 -David