Hi Soren,

On 10 February 2014 08:27, Soren Hansen <so...@linux2go.dk> wrote:
> I've just taken a look at the feedback in the whiteboard. If it's ok,
> I'd like to take this discussion back to the mailing list. I find the
> whiteboards somewhat clumsy for discussions.
>
> Akihiro Motoki points out that all services should work without the
> dashboard. Keystone already exposes an API to create new users, so
> that requirement is already fulfilled, whether there's an intermediate
> service or not, so I don't really understand this objection.
>
> Kieran Spear argues in favour of a separate registration service that
> Horizon talks to over some sort of RPC interface. He argues that
> putting Keystone admin credentials on public facing webserver is a
> security risk.
>
> I agree that putting admin credentials on a public web server is a
> security risk, but I'm not sure why a set of restricted admin
> credentials that only allow you to create users and tenants is a
> bigger problem than the credentials for separate registration service
> that performs the exact same operations?

The third (and most dangerous) operation here is the role grant. I don't
think any Keystone policy could be specific enough to prevent arbitrary
member role assignment in this case.

How do you express the following as a set of policies in Keystone?

"Allow a user to create a new user and a new project and grant the member
role for only that user on only that project."

There may be other ways around this particular case, but in these
situations I accept that mistakes are inevitable, and another layer of
isolation helps to reduce the impact when things go wrong.

Cheers,
Kieran