On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Serg Melikyan <smelik...@mirantis.com>wrote:

> [...]
> patterns with *oslo.messaging*, and I am certain that current
> implementation can be migrated to *oslo.messaging**. *But I am not sure
> that *oslo.messaging* may be easily suited to all future use-cases that
> we plan to cover in a few next releases without major contributions.
> Please, try to respond with any questions related to *oslo.messaging*
> implementation
> and how it can be fitted with certain use-case.
>
> Below, I tried to describe our current use-cases and what specific MQ
> features we are using, how they may be implemented with *oslo.messaging *and
> with what limitations we will face.
>
> Use-Case
> Murano has several components with communications between them based on
> messaging queue:
> *murano-api* -> *murano-conductor:*
>
>    1. *murano-api* sends deployment tasks to murano-conductor
>
> *murano-conductor* -> *murano-api:*
>
>    1. *murano-conductor* reports to *murano-api* task progress
>    during processing
>    2. after processing, *murano-conductor* sends results to *murano-api*
>
> *murano-conductor *->* murano-agent:*
>
>    1. during task processing *murano-conductor* sends execution plans
>    with commands to *murano-agent.*
>
> Note: each of mentioned components above may have more than one instance.
>
> One of great messaging queue specific that we heavily use is a idea of
> queue itself, messages sent to component will be handled any time soon as
> at least one instance would be started. For example, in case of
> *murano-agent*, message is sent even before *murano-agent* is started.
> Another one is queue life-time, we control life-time of *murano-agent*queues
> to exclude overflow of MQ server with queues that is not used
> anymore.
>
> One thing is also worse to mention: *murano-conductor* communicates with
> several components at the same time: process several tasks at the same
> time, during task processing *murano-conductor* sends progress
> notifications to *murano-api* and execution plans to *murano-agent*.
>
> Implementation
> Please, refer to
> Concepts<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/Messaging#Concepts>
>  section of *oslo.messaging* Wiki before further reading to grasp key
> concepts expressed in *oslo.messaging* library. In short, using RPC API
> we can 'call' server synchronously and receive some result, or 'cast'
> asynchronously (no result is returned). Using Notification API we can send
> Notification to the specified Target about happened event with specified
> event_type, importance and payload.
>
> If we move to *oslo.messaging* we can only primarily rely on features
> provided by RPC/Notifications model:
>
>    1. We should not rely on message delivery without other side is
>    properly up and running. It is not a message delivery, it is *Remote
>    Procedure Call;*
>
> The RPC modules expect a response and provide timeout behavior, but the
notifications don't require that. Perhaps you could send those messages as
notifications?

>    1.
>    2. To control queue life-time as we do now, we may be required to
>    'hack' *oslo.messaging* by writing own driver.
>
> The library is meant to be reusable, so if the API does not support your
use case please work with us to extend it rather than hacking around it or
forking it.

>    1.
>
> *murano-api* -> *murano-conductor:*
>
>    1. *murano-api* sends deployment tasks to murano-conductor: *May be
>    replaced with RPC Cast*
>
> *murano-conductor* -> *murano-api:*
>
>    1. *murano-conductor* reports to *murano-api* task progress
>    during processing: *May be replaced with Notification* or *RPC Cast*
>
> Progress updates fit the notifications pattern nicely.

>    1.
>    2. after processing, *murano-conductor* sends results to *murano-api: **May
>    be replaced with RPC Cast*
>
> *murano-conductor *->* murano-agent:*
>
>    1. during task processing *murano-conductor* sends execution plans
>    with commands to *murano-agent*: *May be replaced with two way RPC
>    Cast* (murano-agent Cast to murano-conductor with message like 'I am
>    running', than murano-conductor Call to murano-agent with execution plan)
>
> Our code going to be became less clean and readable with moving to
> *oslo.messaging* since code that received or sends message will need to
> be replaced with many servers/clients and so. Communications with
> *murano-agent* would became more failure in-tolerant. On other hand
> *oslo.messaging
> *has very simple Base
> API<https://github.com/openstack/oslo.messaging/blob/master/oslo/messaging/_drivers/base.py>,
> so we always may implement own driver with all required functionality (and
> underlying tricky implementations), but I think this is should be a last
> resort.

The drivers in oslo.messaging are meant to support different platforms for
delivering messages, rather than message delivery semantics. If you need
different semantics, extending the higher-level API to support them, and
adding what is needed to the driver layer, will allow deployers to continue
to choose their deployment platforms without being locked into a particular
type of broker or protocol.

Doug