Hello!

This e-mail is concerning the "Multiple load balanced services per floating
IP" feature:

And Eugene said:

> Multiple load balanced services per floating IP
That is what blueprint 'multiple vips per pool' is trying to address.

Is this blueprint not yet implemented?  When I attempt to create multiple
VIPs using the same IP in my test cluster, I get:

sbalukoff@testbox:~$ neutron lb-vip-create --name test-vip2 --protocol-port
8000 --protocol HTTP --subnet-id a4370142-dc49-4633-9679-ce5366c482f5
--address 10.48.7.7 test-lb2
Unable to complete operation for network
aa370a26-742d-4eb6-a6f3-a8c344c664de. The IP address 10.48.7.7 is in use.

>From that, I gathered there was a uniqueness check on the IP address.

If this has been implemented previously, could y'all point me at a working
example showcasing the CLI or API commands used to create multiple services
per floating IP (or just point out to me what I'm doing wrong)?

Regardless of the above:  I think splitting the concept of a 'VIP' into
'instance' and 'listener' objects has a couple other benefits as well:

   - You can continue to do a simple uniqueness check on the IP address, as
   only one instance should have a given IP.

   - The 'instance' object can contain a 'tenant_id' attribute, which means
   that at the model level, we enforce the idea that a given floating IP can
   only be used by one tenant (which is good, from a security perspective).

   - This seems less ambiguous from a terminology perspective. The name
   'VIP' in other contexts means 'virtual IP address', which is the same thing
   as a floating IP, which in other contexts is usually considered to be
   unique to a subset of devices that share the IP (or pass it between them).
   It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with layers 4 and above in the
   OSI model. However, if in the context of Neutron LBaaS, "VIP" has a
   "protocol-port" attribute, this means it's no longer just a floating IP:
    It's a floating IP + TCP port (plus other attributes that make sense for a
   TCP service). This feels like Neutron LBaaS is trying to redefine what a
   "virtual IP" is, and is in any case going to be confusing for new comers
   expecting it to be one thing when it's actually another.

 Thanks,
Stephen

--
Stephen Balukoff