On 04/08/2014 11:24 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
Hi,

Le mardi 8 avril 2014, 10:05:31 Doug Hellmann a écrit :
The openstack.common module also known as "Oslo Incubator" or "OpenStack
Common Libraries" has 44 dependencies. IMO we reach a point where it
became
too huge. Would it be possible to split it into smaller parts and
distribute it on PyPI with a stable API? I don't know Olso Incubator
enough to suggest the best granularity. A hint can be the number of
dependencies.

Yes, as others have pointed out we will be doing this in Juno. See
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/JunoGraduationPlans

I talk with Julien Danjou on Hangout. He explained me the origins of the code
and that everyone knows that Oslo Incubator can be improved, and even how it
can be improved, but this project always lacks workforce. Good news! I'm
interested to help to enhance Olso Incubator!

Awesome! If you haven't found us yet, we hang out in #openstack-oslo on Freenode.

That may make sense for your new function. I think there are some
other things in timeutils that don't make sense to upstream. The
isotime() and parse_isotime() functions are relatively simple wrappers
around existing functions that give us consistent timestamps across
projects, for example. Those are useful to us as OpenStack developers,
but I'm not sure they're useful to anyone else as written.

I now understood that each submodule, or even each function, of Olso Incubator
should be audited to check if it is still used, if it should be removed, if it
should move "upstream", or if a module can be distributed separatly on the
Python Cheeseshop (PyPI).

Sorry, I was not aware of the "Oslo Juno Library Graduation Plan", I will read
it!
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/JunoGraduationPlans

Victor