Jay Lau <jay.lau....@gmail.com> wrote on 04/27/2014 12:31:01 AM:

> I think server group is an important feature especially when working
> with heat auto scaling group, there is already some discussion for this
> http://markmail.org/message/jl5wlx3nr3g53ko5

> The current server group feature does support add/delete a VM
> instance to/from the server group but seems not able to manage
> existing VM instances, but this can be enhanced.

> The server group feature need two steps to create the VM instance:
> 1) Create a server group with policy
> 2) Create VMs for the server group

> What Jay Pipes proposed is using resource tags directly:
> 1) Create VMs with a resource tag to specify the policy.

No, the tag contributes to the grouping; the policy is identified by the
choice of command line switch (--affinity vs. --anti-affinity).

> I think that those two directions are very similar, but what Jay
> Pipes proposed does not specify the resource group and seems the
> resource group was implicitly specified in resource tag.

In short, the proposal from Jay Pipes *does* have groups but their
membership is declared in a different way than in the current server
groups feature.  Jay's proposal is not really about *removing* server
groups but rather it is a proposal to change their API.

Regards,
Mike