On 23/04/14 04:42, Thomas Spatzier wrote:
> [...]
> orchestration (Kudos to Steve Baker and Jun Jie Nan) which enables clean
> separation of any kind of software configuration from compute instances and
> thus enables a great new set of features. The implementation for software
> orchestration in Icehouse has probably been the major chunk of work to
> achieve a first end-to-end flow for software configuration thru scripts,
> Chef or Puppet, but there is more work to be done to enable Heat for more
> software orchestration use cases beyond the current support.
> Below are a couple of use cases, and more importantly, thoughts on design
> options of how those use cases can be addressed.
>
> #1 Enable software components for full lifecycle:
> With the current design, "software components" defined thru SoftwareConfig
> resources allow for only one config (e.g. one script) to be specified.
> Typically, however, a software component has a lifecycle that is hard to
> express in a single script. For example, software must be installed
> (created), there should be support for suspend/resume handling, and it
> should be possible to allow for deletion-logic. This is also in line with
> the general Heat resource lifecycle.
> By means of the optional 'actions' property of SoftwareConfig it is
> possible today to specify at which lifecycle action of a SoftwareDeployment
> resource the single config hook shall be executed at runtime. However, for
> modeling complete handling of a software component, this would require a
> number of separate SoftwareConfig and SoftwareDeployment resources to be
> defined which makes a template more verbose than it would have to be.
> As an optimization, SoftwareConfig could allow for providing several hooks
> to address all default lifecycle operations that would then be triggered
> thru the respective lifecycle actions of a SoftwareDeployment resource.
> Resulting SoftwareConfig definitions could then look like the one outlined
> below. I think this would fit nicely into the overall Heat resource model
> for actions beyond stack-create (suspend, resume, delete). Furthermore,
> this will also enable a closer alignment and straight-forward mapping to
> the TOSCA Simple Profile YAML work done at OASIS and the heat-translator
> StackForge project.
>
> So in a short, stripped-down version, SoftwareConfigs could look like
>
> my_sw_config:
>   type: OS::Heat::SoftwareConfig
>   properties:
>     create_config: # the hook for software install
>     suspend_config: # hook for suspend action
>     resume_config: # hook for resume action
>     delete_config: # hook for delete action
>
> When such a SoftwareConfig gets associated to a server via
> SoftwareDeployment, the SoftwareDeployment resource lifecycle
> implementation could trigger the respective hooks defined in SoftwareConfig
> (if a hook is not defined, a no-op is performed). This way, all config
> related to one piece of software is nicely defined in one place.
OS::Heat::SoftwareConfig itself needs to remain ignorant of heat
lifecycle phases, since it is just a store of config.

Currently there are 2 ways to build configs which are lifecycle aware:
1. have a config/deployment pair, each with different deployment actions
2. have a single config/deployment, and have the config script do
conditional logic
   on the derived input value deploy_action

Option 2. seem reasonable for most cases, but having an option which
maps better to TOSCA would be nice.

Clint's StructuredConfig example would get us most of the way there, but
a dedicated config resource might be easier to use. The deployment
resource could remain agnostic to the contents of this resource though.
The right place to handle this on the deployment side would be in the
orc script 55-heat-config, which could infer whether the config was a
lifecycle config, then invoke the required config based on the value of
deploy_action.

> #2 Enable add-hoc actions on software components:
> Apart from basic resource lifecycle hooks, it would be desirable to allow
> for invocation of add-hoc actions on software. Examples would be the ad-hoc
> creation of DB backups, application of patches, or creation of users for an
> application. Such hooks (implemented as scripts, Chef recipes or Puppet
> facts) could be defined in the same way as basic lifecycle hooks. They
> could be triggered by doing property updates on the respective
> SoftwareDeployment resources (just a thought and to be discussed during
> design sessions).
> I think this item could help bridging over to some discussions raised by
> the Murano team recently (my interpretation: being able to trigger actions
> from workflows). It would add a small feature on top of the current
> software orchestration in Heat and keep definitions in one place. And it
> would allow triggering by something or somebody else (e.g. a workflow)
> probably using existing APIs.
Lets park this for now. Maybe one day heat templates will be used to
represent workflow tasks, but this isn't directly related to software
config.

> #3 address known limitations of Heat software orchestration
> As of today, there already are a couple of know limitations or points where
> we have seen the need for additional discussion and design work. Below is a
> collection of such issues.
> Maybe some are already being worked on; others need more discussion.
>
> #3.1 software deployment should run just once:
> A bug has been raised because with today's implementation it can happen
> that SoftwareDeployments get executed multiple times. There has been some
> discussion around this issue but no final conclusion. An average user will
> however assume that his automation gets run only or exactly once. When
> using existing scripts, it would be an additional burden to require
> rewrites to cope with multiple invocations. Therefore, we should have a
> generic solution to the problem so that users do not have to deal with this
> complex problem.
I'm with Clint on this one. Heat-engine cannot know the true state of a
server just by monitoring what has been polled and signaled. Since it
can't know it would be dangerous for it to guess. Instead it should just
offer all known configuration data to the server and allow the server to
make the decision whether to execute a config again. I still think one
more derived input value would be useful to help the server to make that
decision. This could either be a datestamp for when the derived config
was created, or a hash of all of the derived config data.

> #3.2 dependency on heat-cfn-api:
> Some parts of current signaling still depend on the heat-cfn-api. While
> work seems underway to completely move to Heat native signaling, some
> cleanup to make sure this is used throughout the code.
This is possible for signaling now, by setting signal_transport:
HEAT_SIGNAL on the deployment resource.

Polling will be possible once this os-collect-config change lands and is
in a release:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/84269/
Native polling is enabled by setting the server resource property
software_config_transport: POLL_SERVER_HEAT

> #3.3 connectivity of instances to heat engine API:
> The current metadata and signaling framework has certain dependencies on
> connectivity from VMs to the Heat engine API. With some network setups, and
> in some customer environments we hit limitations of access from VMs to the
> management server. What can be done to enable additional network setups?
Some users want to run their servers in isolated neutron networks, which
means no polling or signaling to heat. To kick off the process of
finding a solution to this I proposed the following nova blueprint:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/88703/
The nova design session for this didn't make the cut, so I'm keen to
organize an ad-hoc session with anybody who is interested in this. This
deserves its own session since there are other non-heat stakeholders who
might like this too.

> #3.4 number of created keystone users for deployments:
> It has been pointed out that a large number of keystone users get created
> for deployment and concerns have been raised that this could be a problem
> for large deployments.
I've not seen any evidence yet that the overhead of a user is
significant compared to the overhead of a nova server, or a heat stack -
as long as the heat keystone domain is backed by a keystone db.
> #3.5 support of server groups:
> How can a clean model look like where software configs get deployed on
> server groups instead of single servers. What is the recommended modeling
> and semantics?
For scaling groups, the deployment resource should be with the server
resource in the scaling template, and the config resource can be defined
anywhere and shared (but might be best defined at the same level as the
scaling group resource)
> #3.6 handling of stack updates for software config:
> Stack updates are not cleanly supported with the initial software
> orchestration implementation. #1 above could address this issue, but do we
> have to do something in addition?
Updates should work fine currently, but authors may prefer to represent
update workloads with a lifecycle config described in 1.

However we still have the issue where if a server does a reboot or
rebuild on a stack update, since a nova reboot or rebuild does not map
to a heat lifecycle phase. This means we can't attach a deployment
resource to the shutdown action, so we can't trigger quiescing config
during reboots or rebuilds (Note that quiescing during a server DELETE
should work). Clint had a look at this a while back, we'll need to pick
it up at some point.

> #3.7 stack-abandon and stack-adopt for software-config:
> Issues have been found for stack-abandon and stack-adopt with software
> configs that need to be addressed. Can this be handled by additional hooks
> as lined out under #1?

There is a problem with the way abandon and adopt are currently
implemented. Servers will continue to poll for metadata from the
abandoning heat, using abandoned credentials. There needs to be an added
phase in the abandon/adopt process where the metadata returned from
abandoning heat will return the endpoints and credentials for the
adopting heat so that the server can start polling for valid metadata again.

This is more of an abandon/adopt issue than a software-config one ;)
Maybe we can figure out the solution on the beer-track.

For this design session I have my own list of items to discuss:
#4.1 Maturing the puppet hook so it can invoke more existing puppet scripts
#4.2 Make progress on the chef hook, and defining the mapping from chef
concepts to heat config/inputs/outputs
#4.3 Finding volunteers to write hooks for Salt, Ansible
#5.1 Now that heatclient can include binary files, discuss enhancing
get_file to zip the directory contents if it is pointed at a directory
#5.2 Now that heatclient can include binary files, discuss making stack
create/update API calls multipart/form-data so that proper mime data can
be captured for attached files
#6.1 Discuss options for where else metadata could be polled from (ie,
swift)
#6.2 Discuss whether #6.1 can lead to software-config that can work on
an OpenStack which doesn't allow admin users or keystone domains (ie,
rackspace)