Between patch set 1 and patch set 3 here [1] we have different solutions to the same issue, which is if you don't specify a spacing value for periodic tasks then they run whenever the periodic task processor runs, which is non-deterministic and can be staggered if some tasks don't complete in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm bringing this to the mailing list to see if there are more opinions out there, especially from operators, since patch set 1 changes the default behavior to have the spacing value be the DEFAULT_INTERVAL (hard-coded 60 seconds) versus patch set 3 which makes that behavior configurable so the admin can set global default spacing for tasks, but defaults to the current behavior of running every time if not specified.

I don't like a new config option, but I'm also not crazy about changing existing behavior without consensus.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/93767/

Matt Riedemann