Hi,

I promise a status of my work on Trollius and greenio to Mark, but it's not
easy to summarize it because there are still a few pending patches to implement
the final greenio executor. There are different parts: asyncio, Trollius,
greenio, Olso Messaging.

The design of the asyncio is the PEP 3156 (*) which was accepted and
implemented in Python 3.4, released 4 months ago. After the released of Python
3.4, many bugs were fixed in asyncio. The API is stable, it didn't change (and
it cannot change because backward compatibility matters in Python, even if the
module is still tagged as "provisional" in Python 3.4).

   http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3156/

Since January, I released regulary new versions of Trollius. Trollius API is
the same than the asyncio API, except of the syntax of coroutines:

   http://trollius.readthedocs.org/#differences-between-trollius-and-tulip

The next Trollius release will probably be the version 1.0 because I consider
that the API is now stable. Last incompatible changes were made to make
Trollius look closer to asyncio, and to ease the transition from Trollius to
asyncio. I also renamed the module from "asyncio" to "trollius" to support
Python 3.4 (which already has an "asyncio" module in the standard library) and
to make it more explicit than Trollius coroutines are different than asyncio
coroutines.

The greenio project was written for asyncio and it is available on PyPI.
greenio only support a few features of asyncio, in short: it only supports
executing coroutines. But we only need this feature in Oslo Messaging. I sent a
pull request to port greenio to Trollius:

   https://github.com/1st1/greenio/pull/5/

The pull request requires a new "task factory": I sent a patch to asyncio for
that.

For Oslo Messaging, my change to poll with a timeout has been merged. (I just
sent a fix because my change doesn't work with RabbitMQ.) I will work on the
greenio executor when other pending patches will be merged. We talked with Mark
about this greenio executor. It will be based on the eventlet executor, with a
few lines to support Trollius coroutines. We also have to modify the notifier
to support to pass an optional "execute" function which executes the endpoint
function which may be a coroutine. According to Mark, this change is short and
acceptable in Olso Messaging: thanks to the "execute" function, it will be
possible to restrict code using greenio in the greenio executor (no need to put
greenio nor trollius everywhere in Oslo Messaging).

I listed a lot of projects and pending patches, but I expect that all pieces of
the puzzle with be done before the end of the month. We are very close to
having a working greenio executor in Oslo Messaging ;-)

Victor