On 08/04/2014 03:54 PM, Solly Ross wrote:
Hello All,

So, I'm working on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/111459/, and have
encountered an issue.  It seems that the Nova Baremetal driver
uses the ImageCacheManager from the Libvirt driver.  For various reasons (see
the commit), the ImageCacheManager has been refactored to
require a libvirt connection to function properly.  However, the Nova Baremetal
driver cannot provide such a connection.  Bearing in mind that
Baremetal is deprecated and slated to be replaced by Ironic, the question is
such: what to do about the ImageCacheManager.

One option would be to make it so that the ImageCacheManager can function
without a libvirt connection.  This might make sense if the Baremetal
driver were around to stay; there would be somewhat less duplication than a
wholesale copying of the code.  However, in light of Baremetal's impending
this seems to me to be a poor choice since it would involve lots of duplicate
functionality, would complicate the ImageCacheManager code, and would
later need to be manually removed once the Baremetal driver is removed.

The second option would be to make a copy of the old ImageCacheManager in the
Baremetal directory, and have the Baremetal driver
use that.  This seems to me to be the better option, since it means that when
the Baremetal driver is removed, the old ImageCacheManager
code goes with it, without someone having to manually remove it.

I might get shot in the head, but I think option 2 makes the most sense. There is no need to do _new_ work in support of a dead codebase.

I am not, however, the ruler of the universe...

Monty