Is there a straightforward way to determine where the time is going when I run a command from novaclient?

For instance, if I run "nova list", that's going to run novaclient, which will send a message to nova-api, which wakes up and does some processing and sends a message to nova-conductor, which wakes up and does some processing and then calls out to the database, which wakes up and does some processing and sends the response back to nova-conductor, etc... And the messaging goes via rabbit, so there are additional messaging and wake-ups involved there.

Suppose nova-list takes A amount of time to run...is there a standard way to determine how much time was spent in nova-api, in nova-conductor, in the database, in rabbit, how much was due to scheduler delays, etc.? Or would I be looking at needing to instrument everything to get that level of detail?

Chris