It might be because of the wording used, but it seems to me that you're
making it sound like the group policy effort could have been completely
orthogonal to neutron as we know it now.

What I understood is that the declarative abstraction offered by group
policy could do without any existing neutron entity leveraging "native"
drivers, but can actually be used also with existing neutron plugins
through the mapping driver - which will provide a sort of backward
compatibility. And still in that case I'm not sure one would be able to use
"traditional" neutron API (or "legacy" as it has been called), since I
don't know if the mapping driver is bidirectional.

I know this probably stems from my ignorance on the subject - I had
unfortunately very little time to catch-up with this effort in the past
months.

Salvatore