On 08/08/14 10:41, Anne Gentle wrote:
- Would have to ensure Rally is what we want "first" as getting to be PTL
since you are first to propose seems to be the model.

I know that at one time it was popular in the trade/gutter press to cast aspersions on new projects by saying that someone getting to be a PTL was the major motivation behind them. And although, having been there, I can tell you that this was grossly unfair to the people concerned, at least you could see where the impression might have come from in the days where being a PTL guaranteed you a seat on the TC.

These days with a directly elected TC, the job of a PTL is confined to administrative busywork. To the extent that a PTL holds any real ex officio power, which is not a great extent, it's probably a mistake that will soon be rectified. If anyone is really motivated to become a PTL by their dreams of avarice then I can guarantee that they will be disappointed.

It seems pretty clear to me that projects want their own programs because they don't think it wise to hand over control of all changes to the thing they've been working on for the past year or more to a group of people who have barely glanced at it before and already have other priorities. I submit that this is sufficient to completely explain the proliferation of programs without attributing to anyone any untoward motivations.

Finally, *yes*, the model is indeed that the project working in the open with the community eventually gets incubated, and the proprietary project working behind closed doors with a plan to "'open source' it one day, when it's perfect" is doomed to perpetual irrelevance. You'll note that anyone who is unhappy about that still has an obvious course of action that doesn't involve punishing the people who are trying to do the Right Thing by the community.

cheers,
Zane.