On Aug 13, 2014, at 4:05 PM, Dean Troyer <dtro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
> What “cross-project efforts” are we talking about? The liaison program in
> Oslo has been a qualified success so far. Would it make sense to extend that
> to other programs and say that each project needs at least one designated QA,
> Infra, Doc, etc. contact?
>
> ++1
>
> I've done this informally with DevStack and it has worked well enough that
> Ian is introducing a MAINTAINERS file where we'll record these 'delegations'.
>  For those areas that don't have obvious representation or volunteers I'll
> pick someone based on the commits for that feature.  That specific bit might
> not scale to other projects, but I think documenting some informal
> connectivity like this would be helpful.
>
> dt

That matches what we do in the Oslo incubator for code contributions. For the
liaisons, we’re just using a wiki page [1] because I wanted people to be able
to sign up without any sense of “approval” being needed (and without any delay
having a LIAISONS commit approved). It’s quite likely that we’ll have a lot of
turnover in Kilo, too, since I will ask everyone to volunteer again in case the
projects (or current volunteers) want to rotate duties.

Those are are just implementation details, though. The key factor is asking for
a specific name to be written down somewhere indicating that there is a
volunteer, and then engaging with that person regularly (we reserve part of our
weekly meeting for liaisons to raise issues they’re having in their project
that need attention, for example).

Doug

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/ProjectLiaisons