The simultaneous downtime across the cloud is the one we really need to avoid.
Short network outages (depending on how you define short) can be handled along
with blocking API operations for short periods.

The other item was how to stage the upgrade.. with a cloud of a significant
size and some concerns about scalability, we would like to be able to do the
migration as a set of steps rather than a big bang. During the gap between the
steps, we'd like to open the APIs for usage, such as new VMs get created on
Neutron hypervisors. Would that be a possibility ?

Tim