On 08/26/2014 10:14 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
Steve Baker has started the process of moving Heat tests out of the Tempest repository and into the Heat repository, and we're looking for some guidance on how they should be packaged in a consistent way. Apparently there are a few projects already packaging functional tests in the package <projectname>.tests.functional (alongside <projectname>.tests.unit for the unit tests).

That strikes me as odd in our context, because while the unit tests run against the code in the package in which they are embedded, the functional tests run against some entirely different code - whatever OpenStack cloud you give it the auth URL and credentials for. So these tests run from the outside, just like their ancestors in Tempest do.

There's all kinds of potential confusion here for users and packagers. None of it is fatal and all of it can be worked around, but if we refrain from doing the thing that makes zero conceptual sense then there will be no problem to work around :)
Thanks, Zane. The point of moving functional tests to projects is to be able to run more of them in gate jobs for those projects, and allow tempest to survive being stretched-to-breaking horizontally as we scale to more projects. At the same time, there are benefits to the tempest-as-all-in-one-functional-and-integration-suite that we should try not to lose:

1. Strong integration testing without thinking too hard about the actual dependencies 2. Protection from mistaken or unwise api changes (tempest two-step required) 3. Exportability as a complete blackbox functional test suite that can be used by Rally, RefStack, deployment validation, etc.

I think (1) may be the most challenging because tests that are moved out of tempest might be testing some integration that is not being covered by a scenario. We will need to make sure that tempest actually has a complete enough set of tests to validate integration. Even if this is all implemented in a way where tempest can see in-project tests as "plugins", there will still not be time to run them all as part of tempest on every commit to every project, so a selection will have to be made.

(2) is quite difficult. In Atlanta we talked about taking a copy of functional tests into tempest for stable apis. I don't know how workable that is but don't see any other real options except vigilance in reviews of patches that change functional tests.

(3) is what Zane was addressing. The in-project functional tests need to be written in a way that they can, at least in some configuration, run against a real cloud.

I suspect from reading the previous thread about "In-tree functional test vision" that we may actually be dealing with three categories of test here rather than two:

* Unit tests that run against the package they are embedded in
* Functional tests that run against the package they are embedded in
* Integration tests that run against a specified cloud

i.e. the tests we are now trying to add to Heat might be qualitatively different from the <projectname>.tests.functional suites that already exist in a few projects. Perhaps someone from Neutron and/or Swift can confirm?
That seems right, except that I would call the third "functional tests" and not "integration tests", because the purpose is not really integration but deep testing of a particular service. Tempest would continue to focus on integration testing. Is there some controversy about that?
The second category could include whitebox tests.

I don't know about swift, but in neutron the intent was to have these tests be configurable to run against a real cloud, or not. Maru Newby would have details.

I'd like to propose that tests of the third type get their own top-level package with a name of the form <projectname>-integrationtests (second choice: <projectname>-tempest on the principle that they're essentially plugins for Tempest). How would people feel about standardising that across OpenStack?
+1 But I would not call it "integrationtests" for the reason given above.

 -David

thanks,
Zane.