On 09/22/2014 07:37 AM, Sandy Walsh wrote:
For some operations like resize, migrate, etc., the .start/.end is
good for auditing and billing. Although, we could do a better job by
 simply managing the launched_at, deleted_at times better.

I'm sure I'll get no real disagreement from you or Andrew Laski on
this... but the above is one of the reasons we really should be moving
with pace towards a fully task-driven system, both internally in Nova and externally via the Compute REST API. This would allow us to get rid of the launched_at, deleted_at, created_at, updated_at, etc fields in many of the database tables and instead have a data store for tasks RDBMS or otherwise) that had start and end times in the task record, along with codified task types.

You can see what I had in mind for the public-facing side of this here:

http://docs.oscomputevnext.apiary.io/#schema

See the schema for server task and server task item.

Best,
-jay