On 09/24/2014 06:51 PM, Michael Still wrote:
Hi,

so, I'd really like to see https://review.openstack.org/#/c/121663/
merged in rc1. That patch is approved right now.

However, it depends on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/119521/, which
is not approved. 119521 fixes a problem where we make five RPC calls
per call to get_network_info, which is an obvious efficiency problem.

Talking to Vish, who is the author of these patches, it sounds like
the efficiency issue is a pretty big deal for users of nova-network
and he'd like to see 119521 land in Juno. I think that means he's
effectively arguing that the bug is release critical.

While I appreciate that there may be efficiency gains in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/119521/, these are not things that, AFAICT, were any different in Icehouse:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.py?id=2014.2.b3#n1362

and I don't see how https://review.openstack.org/#/c/121663/ is actually dependent on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/119521/.

On the other hand, its only a couple of days until rc1, so we're
trying to be super conservative about what we land now in Juno.

So... I'd like to see a bit of a conversation on what call we make
here. Do we land 119521?

At the very least, I would say de-couple the two patches. Definitely merge 121663 and let 119521 bake a little bit would be my opinion.

I've gone through 119521 three times now, and I don't see anything too obviously wrong with it. But then again, the DB queries in the nova-network codebase are generally pretty awkward, and I can't say for certain whether the joins added to nova.db.sqlalchemy.api.fixed_ip_get_by_instance() will speed up a few queries but end up slowing down a number of calls to that method that don't need the virtual_interface or floating_ips attributes of the Instance object.

I'd personally like a few more hours tomorrow to go through the code.

Best,
-jay