On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Devdatta Kulkarni <
devdatta.kulka...@rackspace.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> We have faced this situation in Solum several times. And in fact this was
> one of the topics
> that we discussed in our last irc meeting.
>
> We landed on separating the sample check from pep8 gate into a non-voting
> gate.
> One reason to keep the sample check is so that when say a feature in your
> code fails
> due to some upstream changes and for which you don't have coverage in your
> functional tests then
> a non-voting but failing sample check gate can be used as a starting point
> of the failure investigation.
>
> More details about the discussion can be found here:
>
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/solum_team_meeting/2014/solum_team_meeting.2014-09-23-16.00.log.txt
>
> - Devdatta

> *Subject:* Re: [openstack-dev] [Ironic] Get rid of the sample config file
>
>   Hi!
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Lucas Alvares Gomes <
> lucasago...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today we have hit the problem of having an outdated sample
>> configuration file again[1]. The problem of the sample generation is
>> that it picks up configuration from other projects/libs
>> (keystoneclient in that case) and this break the Ironic gate without
>> us doing anything.
>>
>> So, what you guys think about removing the test that compares the
>> configuration files and makes it no longer gate[2]?
>>
>> We already have a tox command to generate the sample configuration
>> file[3], so folks that needs it can generate it locally.
>>
>> Does anyone disagree?
>>

>  +1 to this, but I think we should document how to generate the sample
> config
> in our documentation (install guide?).
>
>  -Dave
>  --
>  David Shrewsbury (Shrews)

I tried this in Cinder a while back and was actually rather surprised by
the overwhelming push-back I received from the Operator community, and
whether I agreed with all of it or not, the last thing I want to do is
ignore the Operators that are actually standing up and maintaining what
we're building.

Really at the end of the day this isn't really that big of a deal.  It's
relatively easy to update the config in most of the projects "tox
-egenconfig" see my posting back in May [1].  For all the more often this
should happen I'm not sure why we can't have enough contributors that are
just pro-active enough to "fix it up" when they see it falls out of date.

John

[1]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-May/036438.html