On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Ben Nemec <openst...@nemebean.com> wrote:
> On 10/08/2014 12:53 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Ironic actually polls things till they worked, at least in the IPMI
>> codepaths, so we should be able to do something there. However,
>> Devananda was very concerned about having an openstack driver, but was
>> ok with an IPMI->openstack proxy, which jang volunteered to write.
>
> Yeah, this was just a quick port of my old nova-bm ssh driver to Ironic
> so I could prove the concept works.  I included Jan in the To list in
> the hopes that he'll chime in on this. :-)

To recap what Jan and I talked about for a wider audience... An
ipmi-listener that translates to other things (openstack, libvirt, or
what ever) would be very useful for testing the contracts that Ironic
makes with hardware, and also ensuring that our functional tests are
actually testing all of the same code paths we use in production
(which they're not today, because no one should be using the SSH power
driver in production).

Once we have such an ipmi-listener, I think we could (and should)
remove the SSH power driver from Ironic.

-Devananda