From: Adam Lawson [alaw...@aqorn.com]
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 4:47 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: [openstack-dev] [Ironic] [Triple-O] Openstack Onboarding

I made a similar comment to the Triple-O design summmit etherpad in hopes
others have a similar interest in Kilo but I wanted to share evangelize my
thoughts with the community for discussion:

For better or for worse, one thing I've heard over and over is how Openstack
community/TC approves/prefers the use of TripleO and Ironic to deploy Openstack
on bare metal. Cool, but for the majority of users considering using Openstack
in their organization, the question always goes back to: If I'm not savvy
enough yet to install Openstack without these tools, how do I setup TripleO and
Ironic? Seems like a chien and egg thing.

There has not been much discussion (that I've noticed) re making a deployment
process easy to erect. That should be the easy part but it's as confusing as
the second part for most who are starting out. Using Openstack to deploy
Openstack means the installer method should be straight forward and itself
should be easy to install for users with limited understanding of Openstack or
the tooling methods used by OOO and Ironic. But the bar to use Openstack
continues to be a relatively-high engineering hurdle. It always has been and
I'd love to see that change in the next cycle.

Something that comes to mind:

  *   Setup Process Definition
  *   Quickstart Wizards
  *   Tooling

The above may seem to be dumbing down the process but widespread Openstack
adoption requires an easy on-boarding process and so far, it simply doesn't
exist.

Thoughts?

Adam Lawson

AQORN, Inc.