Hi Daniel,

referring to this discussion we had some weeks ago, there is a blueprint and spec up for review now, describing the boot device prioritization feature you proposed:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/boot-order-for-instance
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133254/

It would be great if you could have a look and add your comments.

Regards, Ondrej

When booting from the network there is potentially a choice of multiple
NICs from which todo PXE.

With KVM you are not restricted to saying disk or network as exclusive
choices, but rather you can setup arbitrary prioritization of boot order
across devices, whether disk, nic or PCI assigned device.

So we should really consider this broader problem of boot device
prioritization not merely a PXE flag. IOW, we should extend the Nova
boot command so that the --block-device-mapping and --nic args both
allow for an integer boot priority value to be specified per device.

   bootindex=NNN

And likewise allow it to be set for PCI assigned devices.

Hypervisors that don't support such fine grained ordering, can simply
ignore anything except the device with bootindex=1.

Regards,
Daniel