On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 09:20:40AM -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2014, at 4:39 PM, Matthew Treinish <mtrein...@kortar.org> wrote:
>

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Earlier today https://review.openstack.org/136017 merged which adds stable
> > compat jobs to most of the oslo libraries. This was done in reaction to 2
> > separate incidents in the past 2 days where both oslo.vmware and taskflow
> > landed
> > changes that added new requirements which weren't in stable/icehouse global
> > requirements. This broke all the stable/icehouse dsvm jobs, which basically
> > blocked stable backports to icehouse, juno as well as all tempest and
> > devstack-gate changes. (among other things)
> >
> > So in the short-term for future changes that add new requirements the
> > requirements have to be added to stable global requirements before they
> > change
> > will be able to land on master. This has been the policy for all the
> > libraries
> > that installed from git on stable branches (the client libs have stable
> > compat
> > jobs for this reason) but was just not being enforced on oslo libs prior to
> > 136017.
>
> Are the jobs smart enough to realize that if a library wasn’t being used in a
> given stable branch, we don’t need to worry about adding requirements? For
> example, most of the libraries weren’t used in Icehouse so we shouldn’t need
> to ensure that new dependencies they add are compatible with the existing
> icehouse dependencies.

If the library isn't being used on a branch then nothing on that branch will
break when a requirement is added, because nothing is trying to install the
library with the new requirement. But thinking about this, I just realized that
the stable-compat job template I added to all the libs doesn't discriminate
between icehouse and juno so you'll be running extra jobs for no reason on those
libraries which weren't used in icehouse. A good follow-up patch would probably
be to stop using the template on those and just manually add the juno jobs to
those libraries. (or make a separate template for just juno and use that
instead)

-Matt Treinish