On 11/21/2014 01:52 PM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 07:15:49PM +0100, jordan pittier wrote:
>> Hey,
>> I am not a Nova developer but I still have an opinion.
>>
>>> Using boolean assertions
>> I like what you propose. We should use and enforce the assert* that best
>> matches the intention. It's about semantic and the more precise we are, the
>> better.
>>
>>> Using same order of arguments in equality assertions
>> Why not. But I don't know how we can write a Hacking rule for this. So you
>> may fix all the occurrences for this now, but it might get back in the
>> future.
>
> Ok I'll bite, besides the enforceability issue which you pointed out, it just
> doesn't make any sense, you're asserting 2 things are equal: (A == B) == (B
> == A)
> and I honestly feel that it goes beyond nitpicking because of that.
>
> It's also a fallacy that there will always be an observed value and an
> expected value. For example:
>
>   self.assertEqual(method_a(), method_b())
>
> Which one is observed and which one is expected? I think this proposal is just
> reading into the parameter names a bit too much.

If you are using assertEqual with 2 variable values... you are doing
your test wrong.

I was originally in your camp. But honestly, the error message provided
to the user does say expected and observed, and teaching everyone that
you have to ignore the error message is a much harder thing to do than
flip the code to conform to it, creating less confusion.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net