303.818.7497

From: Thai Q Tran <tqt...@us.ibm.com><mailto:tqt...@us.ibm.com>
Reply: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>><mailto:openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Date: November 30, 2014 at 10:20:29 PM
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>><mailto:openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [horizon] REST and Django

I agree that keeping the API layer thin would be ideal. I should add that
having discrete API calls would allow dynamic population of table. However, I
will make a case where it might be necessary to add additional APIs. Consider
that you want to delete 3 items in a given table.

If you do this on the client side, you would need to perform: n * (1 API
request + 1 AJAX request)
If you have some logic on the server side that batch delete actions: n * (1 API
request) + 1 AJAX request

Consider the following:
n = 1, client = 2 trips, server = 2 trips
n = 3, client = 6 trips, server = 4 trips
n = 10, client = 20 trips, server = 11 trips
n = 100, client = 200 trips, server 101 trips

As you can see, this does not scale very well.... something to consider...

[Inactive hide details for Richard Jones ---11/27/2014 05:38:53 PM---On Fri Nov
28 2014 at 5:58:00 AM Tripp, Travis S <travis.tr] Richard Jones ---11/27/2014
05:38:53 PM---On Fri Nov 28 2014 at 5:58:00 AM Tripp, Travis S