On 12/5/2014 1:32 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
On 12/05/2014 01:50 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
In Juno we effectively disabled live snapshots with libvirt due to bug
1334398 [1] failing the gate about 25% of the time.

I was going through the Juno release notes today and saw this as a known
issue, which reminded me of it and was wondering if there is anything
being done about it?

As I recall, it *works* but it wasn't working under the stress our
check/gate system puts on that code path.

One thing I'm thinking is, couldn't we make this an experimental config
option and by default it's disabled but we could run it in the
experimental queue, or people could use it without having to patch the
code to remove the artificial minimum version constraint put in the code.

Something like:

if CONF.libvirt.live_snapshot_supported:
    # do your thing

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1334398

So, it works. If you aren't booting / shutting down guests at exactly
the same time as snapshotting. I believe cburgess said in IRC yesterday
he was going to take another look at it next week.

I'm happy to put this into dansmith's pattented [workarounds] config
group (coming soon to fix the qemu-convert bug). But I don't think this
should be a normal libvirt option.

        -Sean

Yeah the [workarounds] group is what got me thinking about it too as a config option, otherwise I think the idea of an [experimental] config group has come up before as a place to put 'not tested, here be dragons' type stuff.

Matt Riedemann