Hi Keshava,

For the purposes of Octavia, it's going to be service VMs (or containers or
what have you). However, service VM or tenant VM the concept is roughly
similar:  We need some kind of layer-3 routing capability which works
something like Neutron floating IPs (though not just a static NAT in this
case) but which can distribute traffic to a set of back-end VMs running on
a Neutron network according to some predictable algorithm (probably a
distributed hash).

The idea behind ACTIVE-ACTIVE is that you have many service VMs (we call
them amphorae) which service the same "public" IP in some way-- this allows
for horizontal scaling of services which need it (ie. anything which does
TLS termination with a significant amount of load).

Does this make sense to you?

Thanks,
Stephen

--