> On Dec 12, 2014, at 10:30, Joe Gordon <joe.gord...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 6:50 AM, Russell Bryant <rbry...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 12/11/2014 12:55 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
>> > Cells can handle a single API on top of globally distributed DCs.  I
>> > have spoken with a group that is doing exactly that.  But it requires
>> > that the API is a trusted part of the OpenStack deployments in those
>> > distributed DCs.
>>
>> And the way the rest of the components fit into that scenario is far
>> from clear to me.  Do you consider this more of a "if you can make it
>> work, good for you", or something we should aim to be more generally
>> supported over time?  Personally, I see the globally distributed
>> OpenStack under a single API case much more complex, and worth
>> considering out of scope for the short to medium term, at least.
>>
>> For me, this discussion boils down to ...
>>
>> 1) Do we consider these use cases in scope at all?
>>
>> 2) If we consider it in scope, is it enough of a priority to warrant a
>> cross-OpenStack push in the near term to work on it?
>>
>> 3) If yes to #2, how would we do it?  Cascading, or something built
>> around cells?
>>
>> I haven't worried about #3 much, because I consider #2 or maybe even #1
>> to be a show stopper here.
>
> Agreed

I agree with Russell as well. I also am curious on how identity will work in
these cases. As it stands identity provides authoritative information only for
the deployment it runs. There is a lot of concern I have from a security
standpoint when I start needing to address what the central api can do on the
other providers. We have had this discussion a number of times in Keystone,
specifically when designing the keystone-to-keystone identity federation, and
we came to the conclusion that we needed to ensure that the keystone local to a
given cloud is the only source of authoritative authz information. While it
may, in some cases, accept authn from a source that is trusted, it still
controls the local set of roles and grants.

Second, we only guarantee that a tenan_id / project_id is unique within a
single deployment of keystone (e.g. Shared/replicated backends such as a
percona cluster, which cannot be when crossing between differing IAAS
deployers/providers). If there is ever a tenant_id conflict (in theory possible
with ldap assignment or an unlucky random uuid generation) between
installations, you end up with potentially granting access that should not
exist to a given user.

With that in mind, how does Keystone fit into this conversation? What is
expected of identity? What would keystone need to actually support to make this
a reality?

I ask because I've only seen information on nova, glance, cinder, and
ceilometer in the documentation. Based upon the above information I outlined, I
would be concerned with an assumption that identity would "just work" without
also being part of this conversation.

Thanks,
Morgan