> On Nov 12, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
> We rather quickly came to consensus at the summit that we should drop the use
> of namespace packages in Oslo libraries [1]. As far as I could tell, everyone
> was happy with my proposed approach [2] of moving the code from oslo.foo to
> oslo_foo and then creating a backwards-compatibility shim in oslo.foo that
> imports public symbols from oslo_foo. We also agreed that we would not rename
> existing libraries, and we would continue to use the same naming convention
> for new libraries. So the distribution and git repository both will be called
> “oslo.foo” and the import statement would look like “from oslo_foo import
> bar”.

We have made good progress on this work [1]. Because the release of
oslo.concurrency before the holidays exposed some issues with our process, we
have held off on releasing any more libraries until those problems were worked
out. We believe we are now ready to start releasing the other libraries, and
are going to start doing so this week.

I plan to release a new version of oslo.config later today, and then wait a few
hours to see if there are any issues (if you start seeing odd behavior related
to oslo.config, please report it in #openstack-oslo). When we are confident
that the release is working, we will continue with the other libraries with
similar pauses over the course of the rest of the week.

As each library is released, we will send release notes to this list, as usual.
At that point the Oslo liaisons should start planning patches to change imports
in their projects from "oslo.foo" to “oslo_foo". The old imports should still
work for now, but new features will not be added to the old namespace, so over
time it will be necessary to make the changes anyway. We are likely to remove
the old namespace package completely during the next release cycle, but that
hasn't been decided.

Doug

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo-incubator/+spec/drop-namespace-packages