From: Thierry Carrez [mailto:thie...@openstack.org]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 1:36 AM
To: openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] The scope of OpenStack wiki [all]

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> The wiki served for many years the purpose of 'poor man CMS' when we
> didn't have an easy way to collaboratively create content. So the wiki
> ended up hosting pages like 'Getting started with OpenStack', demo
> videos, How to contribute, mission, to document our culture / shared
> understandings (4 opens, release cycle, use of blueprints, stable
> branch policy...), to maintain the list of Programs, meetings/teams,
> blueprints and specs, lots of random documentation and more.
>
> Lots of the content originally placed on the wiki was there because
> there was no better place. Now that we have more mature content and
> processes, these are finding their way out of the wiki like:
>
>       * http://governance.openstack.org
>       * http://specs.openstack.org
>       * http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/
>
> Also, the Introduction to OpenStack is maintained on
> www.openstack.org/software/ together with introductory videos and
> other basic material. A redesign of openstack.org/community and the
> new portal groups.openstack.org are making even more wiki pages obsolete.
>
> This makes the wiki very confusing to newcomers and more likely to
> host conflicting information.

One of the issues here is that the wiki also serves as a default starting page
for "all things not on www.openstack.org" (its main page is a list of relevant
links). So at the same time we are moving authoritative content out of the wiki
to more appropriate, version-controlled and peer-reviewed sites, we are still
relying on the wiki as a reference catalog or starting point to find those more
appropriate sites. That is IMHO what creates the confusion on where the
authoritative content actually lives.

So we also need to revisit how to make navigation between the various web
properties of OpenStack more seamless and discoverable, so that we don't rely
on the wiki starting page for that important role.

> I would propose to restrict the scope of the wiki to things that
> anything that don't need or want to be peer-reviewed. Things like:
>
>   * agendas for meetings, sprints, etc
>   * list of etherpads for summits
>   * quick prototypes of new programs (mentors, upstream training)
> before they find a stable home (which can still be the wiki)

+1 -- I agree on the end goal... Use the wiki a bit like we use
etherpads or pastebins, and have more appropriate locations for all of our
reference information. It will take some time but we should move toward that.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)