All we need is to have someone spend some time to make it possible to have
a common meta files(configs, package descriptions, etc.) so that they can
be interchangeable and used by both Bower and pip, e.g. some tool to sync
changes made in one config and adding it to another. Then - whoever prefers
Bower - will use Bower, that's mostly for development, and whoever prefers
pip - will use pip. Ideally, it seems fine to have the static files into
separate git repo(s), as it is now in XStatic.

I'll try to make an (incomplete or maybe not so correct) list of the stages
a static file goes through:

1. Development - all we need is versions of uncompressed js and css files.
We can

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:05 AM, <david.co...@oracle.com> wrote:

> I won't stop to comment on this statement other than to say Javascript is
>> quite relevant to Oracle, Oracle's customers, and Oracle's partners.
>>
>> Your argument is a boondoggle. Refusing to use node because your favorite
>> platform doesn't support it is not the fault of node.js, it's the fault of
>> the platform.
>>

> Not to belabor the thread, but yes, of course JavaScript is very
> relevant to Oracle, Solaris, our customers/partners, etc. And that
> includes both client and server-side. As Drew stated, as of this moment
> we haven't yet made Node.js available on SPARC but I expect that to
> change in the future. But the question or potential concern remains as
> to whether adding a non-Python/pip build dependency makes sense.
>
> I'm not particularly well-versed in the Horizon build process so
> perhaps I'm way off base. But given that a distribution's Horizon build
> package embeds various JavaScript libraries to be used by the browser,
> how those libraries are obtained during the build process is an
> interesting build detail. I thought the intent of the XStatic work was
> to provide Python wrappers around the various JavaScript libraries so
> they could be pulled down via pip. Since there's already a Python
> requirements.txt file for versioning information, that seemed to be a
> nice way of indicating which versions of the JavaScript libraries could
> be used by Horizon and Python was used all the way through the build.
>
> I realize that it takes work to build the XStatic packages but given
> the Python packages are basically wrappers, it seems creating those and
> uploading them to pypi could be automated by using Bower and setup.py
> but perhaps translating the metadata isn't straightforward.

Regards,
Tihomir Trifonov