On 25/01/15 00:03, Hongbin Lu wrote:
Hi Heat team,

I am looking for a solution to bridge between OpenStack and EC2.
According to documents, it seems that Heat has multicloud support but
the remote cloud(s) must be OpenStack.

It actually doesn't, although it is planned. (We have multi-region support, but that implies a shared Keystone for both regions.)

I wonder if Heat supports
multicloud in the context of supporting remote EC2 cloud. For example,
does Heat support a remote stack that contains resources from EC2 cloud?

No, and that's not planned either.

As a result, creating a stack will provision local OpenStack resources
along with remote EC2 resources.

If this feature is not supported, will the dev team accept blueprint
and/or contributions for that?

I think the most accurate short answer here is "no". Of course, I can't claim to speak for everyone.

There are some contributions I think we would be willing to accept, though. For example, the biggest obstacle to writing AWS plugins is to find a way to provide the user's AWS credentials to the plugin securely. If we had a solution to the credential problem it would also be helpful for multi-cloud in Heat across two OpenStack clouds that lack Keystone federation, so I think that would definitely be valuable.

You're definitely not the only ones wanting to drive AWS from Heat, so maybe you could set up a separate StackForge project or the like to develop a set of AWS plugins.

cheers,
Zane.