I proposed an alternative to adjusting the lease time early on the in the
thread. By specifying the renewal time (DHCP option 58), we can have the
benefits of a long lease time (resiliency to long DHCP server outages)
while having a frequent renewal interval to check for IP changes. I favored
this approach because it only required a patch to dnsmasq to allow that
option to be set and patch to our agent to set that option, both of which
are pretty straight-forward.

>- Just don't allow users to change their IPs without a reboot.

How can we do this? Call Nova from Neutron to force a reboot when the port
is updated?

>- Bounce the link under the VM when the IP is changed, to force the guest
to re-request a DHCP lease immediately.

I had thought about this as well and it's the approach that I think would
be ideal, but the Nova VIF code would require changes to add support for
changing interface state. It's definition of "plugging" and "unplugging" is
actually creating and deleting the interfaces, which might not work so well
with running VMs. Then more changes would have to be done on the Nova side
to react to a port IP change notification from Neutron to trigger the
interface bounce. Finally, a small change would have to be made to Neutron
to send the IP change event to Nova.

The amount of changes it required from the Nova side deterred me from
pursuing it further.

>- Remove the IP spoofing firewall feature

I think this makes sense as a tenant-configurable option for networks they
own, but I don't think we should throw it out. It makes for good protection
on networks facing Internet traffic that could have compromised hosts.
Along the same line, we make use of shared networks, which has other shady
tenants that might be dishonest when it comes to IP addresses.

>- Make the IP spoofing firewall allow an overlap of both old and new
addresses until the DHCP lease time is up (or the instance reboots).  Adds
some additional async tasks, but this is clearly the required solution if
we want to keep all our existing features.

I didn't find a clean spot to put this. Spoofing rules are generated a long
ways away from the code that knows about IP updates. Maybe we could tack it
onto the response to the query from the agent for allowed address pairs.
Then we have to deal with persisting these temporary allowed addresses to
the DB (not a big deal, but still a schema change). Another issue here
would be if Neutron then allocated that address for another port while it
was still in use by the old node. We will probably have to block IPAM from
re-allocating that address for another port during this window as well.

However, this doesn't solve the general slowness of DHCP info propagation
for other updates (subnet gateway change, DNS nameserver change, etc), so I
would still like to go forward with the increased renewal interval. I will
also look into eliminating the downtime completely with your last
suggestion if it can be implemented without impacting too much stuff.

Kevin Benton