Hi Magnum team,

Le 07/02/2015 19:24, Steven Dake (stdake) a écrit :

From: Eric Windisch <e...@windisch.us <mailto:e...@windisch.us>>
Date: Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Magnum] Scheduling for Magnum

        1) Cherry pick scheduler code from Nova, which already has a
        working a filter scheduler design.

The Gantt team explored that option by the Icehouse cycle and it failed with a lot of problems. I won't list all of those, but I'll just explain that we discovered how the Scheduler and the Nova compute manager were tighly coupled, which was meaning that a repository fork was really difficult to do without reducing the tech debt.

That said, our concerns were far different from the Magnum team : it was about having feature parity and replacing the current Nova scheduler, while your team is just saying that they want to have something about containers.

        2) Integrate swarmd to leverage its scheduler[2].

    I see #2 as not an alternative but possibly an "also". Swarm uses
    the Docker API, although they're only about 75% compatible at the
    moment. Ideally, the Docker backend would work with both single
    docker hosts and clusters of Docker machines powered by Swarm. It
    would be nice, however, if scheduler hints could be passed from
    Magnum to Swarm.

    Regards,
    Eric Windisch

Adrian & Eric,

I would prefer to keep things simple and just integrate directly with swarm and leave out any cherry-picking from Nova. It would be better to integrate scheduling hints into Swarm, but I’m sure the swarm upstream is busy with requests and this may be difficult to achieve.

I don't want to give my opinion about which option you should take as I don't really know your needs. If I understand correctly, this is about having a scheduler providing affinity rules for containers. Do you have a document explaining which interfaces you're looking for, which kind of APIs you're wanting or what's missing with the current Nova scheduler ?

MHO is that the technology shouldn't drive your decision : whatever the backend is (swarmd or an inherited nova scheduler), your interfaces should be the same.

-Sylvain

Regards
-steve