As pointed out by the examples in the other replies, you would essentially
have to support every possible parameter to "neutron port-create" in "nova
boot". That's creating unnecessary knowledge of neutron in nova. If you had
to eliminate one of the two, the second workflow should actually be the one
to go because that would support a better separation of concerns.

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:21 PM, Wanjing Xu <wanjing...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There seemed to be two ways to create a VM via cli:
>
> 1) use neutron command to create a port first and then use nova command to
> attach the vm to that port(neutron port-create.. followed by nova boot
> --nic port-id=)
> 2)Just use nova command and a port will implicitly be created for you(nova
> boot --nic net-id=net-uuid).
>
> My question is : is #2 sufficient enough to cover all the scenarios?  In
> other words, if we are not allowed to use #1(can only use #2 to create vm),
> would we miss anything?
>
> Regards!
> Wanjing Xu

Kevin Benton