From: Kashyap Chamarthy [mailto:kcham...@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 2:14 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Flavor extra-spec and image metadata
documentation

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:23:54AM +0100, Pasquale Porreca wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am working on a little patch that introduce a new flavor extra-spec
> and image metadata key-value pair
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153607/
>
> I am wondering how an openstack admin can be aware that a specific
> value of a flavor extra-spec or image metadata provides a feature he
> may desire, in other words is there a place where the flavor
> extra-specs and/or image metadata key-value pairs are documented?

Unfortunately, there's none as of now. I found this the hard way that you
cannot trivially find all possible 'extra_spec' key values that can be set by
`nova flavor-key`

I did gross things like this:

    $ grep hw\: nova/virt/hardware.py nova/tests/unit/virt/test_hardware.py |
sort | uniq

And, obviously the above will only find you 'hw' properties.

Daniel Berrangé once suggested that image properties and flavor extra specs
need to be 'objectified' to alleviate this.

--
/kashyap