From: Jesse Pretorius [mailto:jesse.pretor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:25 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Priority resizing instance on same host

On Thursday, February 12, 2015, Rui Chen
<chenrui.m...@gmail.com<mailto:chenrui.m...@gmail.com>> wrote:
    Currently, resizing instance cause migrating from the host that the
instance run on to other host, but maybe the current host is suitable for new
flavor. Migrating will lead to copy image between hosts if no shared storage,
it waste time.
    I think that priority resizing instance on the current host may be better
if the host is suitable.
    The logic like this:

if CONF.allow_resize_to_same_host:
    filte current host
    if suitable:
       resize on current host
    else:
       select a host
       resize on the host

    I don't know whether there have been some discussion about this question.
Please let me know what do you think. If the idea is no problem, maybe I can
register a blueprint to implement it.

But the nova.conf flag for that already exists?

What I would suggest, however, is that some logic is put in to determine
whether the disk size remains the same while the cpu/ram size is changing - if
so, then resize the instance on the host without the disk snapshot and copy.

--
Jesse Pretorius
mobile: +44 7586 906045