On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 01:39:21PM +1300, Robert Collins wrote:

> Just ran across this from bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1398999. Is there some way to
> signal to libvirt that some block devices shouldn't be migrated by it
> but instead are known to be networked etc? Or put another way, how can
> we have our cake and eat it too. Its not uncommon for a VM to be
> cinder booted but have local storage for swap... and AIUI the fix we
> put in for this bug stops those VM's being migrated. Do you think it
> is tractable (but needs libvirt work), or is it something endemic to
> the problem (e.g. dirty page synchronisation with the VM itself) that
> will be in the way?

I have a half drafted email for the libvirt devel list proposing this
exact thing.  Allow an element in the XML that tell libvirt how/if it
can/should migrate a device.  As noted previously I'm happy to do qemu/libvirt
work to help openstack.

Doign this would solve a few other issues in openstack without breaking
existing users.

So now I look like I'm jumping on your bandwagon Phooey

Yours Tony.