I started https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/service-py-replacements with some ideas/thoughts/notes; feel free to add any on u want (or adjust it accordingly with better ideas).

-Josh

Victor Stinner wrote:
Hi,

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
+1 to fix Oslo's service module any ways, irrespective of this bug.

By the way, the Service class is a blocker point for the implementation of
asyncio and threads specs:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153298/
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/156711/

We may allow to execute a function before fork() to explicitly share some
things with all child processes. But most things (instanciate the application,
open DB connections, etc.) should be done after the fork.

Well, it looks like everyone agree. We just need someone to implement the idea
:-)

We may write a new class instead of modifying the existing class, to not break
applications. Doug Hellamnn even proposed once to have an abstraction of the
concurrency model (eventlet, threads, asyncio). I don't know if it's worth it.

Victor