On Mar 10, 2015, at 19:28, Chris St. Pierre <chris.a.st.pie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, look at that! In some other projects, flake8 complains about a docstring
> whose first line doesn't end in a period, so I didn't think it'd be possible.
> If you don't think that's excessively verbose, there'll be a patch in
> shortly. Thanks!

Oh, right -- I wasn't thinking about that. Probably it's not a restriction in
novaclient because documentation is generated from the docstrings.

> That's precisely the confusion -- the security group name 'default' is, of
> course, a security group. But "the default security group," as referenced by
> the help text for these commands, is actually a sort of meta-security-group
> object that is only used to populate the 'default' security group in new
> tenants. It is not, in and of itself, an actual security group. That is,
> adding a new rule with 'nova secgroup-add-default-rules' has absolutely no
> effect on what network traffic is allowed between guests; it only affects new
> tenants created afterwards.

Got it. I learned a lot about the "default security group" in nova-network
because of your email and bug. It's actually generated if it doesn't exist for
a tenant when a server is created. If it's found, it's reused and thus won't
pick up any default rules that had been added since it was created. And then
you could get into particulars like deleting the 'default' group, then you
would get all freshest default rules next time you create a server, even if
your tenant isn't new. Really not easy to understand.

melanie (melwitt)