It's really fine to create backports, even of other people's commits,
as long as you don't do it too early (and thus make it possible to
forget to update backports in line with newer patch sets of the master
commit and land inconsistent implementations to different release
series) and don't mangle Change-Id and Author (and turn git history
examination into an IT archaeology excercise).

Nothing personal: I've seen the same mistakes done by many people, so
I want to clarify why it's important.

Dmitry Borodaenko