John Griffith wrote:

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gord...@gmail.com
<mailto:joe.gord...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I am starting this thread based on Thierry's feedback on [0].
    Instead of writing the same thing twice, you can look at the
    rendered html from that patch [1]. Neutron tried to go from core to
    maintainer but after input from the TC and others, they are keeping
    the term 'core' but are clarifying what it means to be a neutron
    core [2]. [2] does a very good job of showing how what it means to
    be core is evolving.  From

        "everyone is a dev and everyone is a reviewer. No committers or
        repo owners, no aristocracy. Some people just commit to do a lot
        of reviewing and keep current with the code, and have votes that
        matter more (+2)." (Theirry)

    To a system where cores are more then people who have votes that
    matter more. Neutron's proposal tries to align that document with
    what is already happening.

        1. They share responsibility in the project's success.
        2. They have made a long-term, recurring time investment to
        improve the project.
        3. They spend their time doing what needs to be done to ensure
        the projects success, not necessarily what is the most
        interesting or fun.

    I think there are a few issues at the heart of this debate:

    1. Our current concept of a core team has never been able to grow
    past 20 or so people, even for really big projects like nova and
    cinder. Why is that?  How do we delegate responsibility for
    subsystems? How do we keep growing?
    2. If everyone is just developers and reviewers who is actually
    responsible for the projects success? How does that mesh with the
    ideal of no 'aristocracy'? Do are early goals still make sense today?

    Do you feel like a core deveper/reviewer (we initially called them
    core developers) [1]:

        In OpenStack a core developer is a developer who has submitted
        enough high quality code and done enough code reviews that we
        trust their code reviews for merging into the base source tree.
        It is important that we have a process for active developers to
        be added to the core developer team.

    Or a maintainer [1]:

        1. They share responsibility in the project’s success.
        2. They have made a long-term, recurring time investment to
        improve the project.
        3. They spend that time doing whatever needs to be done, not
        necessarily what is the most interesting or fun.

        Maintainers are often under-appreciated, because their work is
        harder to appreciate. It’s easy to appreciate a really cool and
        technically advanced feature. It’s harder to appreciate the
        absence of bugs, the slow but steady improvement in stability,
        or the reliability of a release process. But those things
        distinguish a good project from a great one.

    [0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/163660/
    [1]

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/60/163660/3/check/gate-governance-docs/f386acf//doc/build/html/resolutions/20150311-rename-core-to-maintainers.html
    [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/164208/

Hey Joe,

I mentioned in last weeks TC meeting that I didn't really see a burning
need to change or create new "labels"; but that's probably beside the
point.  So if I read this it really comes down to a number of people in
the community want "core" to mean something more than "special reviewer"
is that right?  I mean regardless of whether you change the name from
"core" to "maintainer" I really don't care.  If it makes some folks feel
better to have that title/label associated with themselves that's cool
by me (yes I get the *extra* responsibilities part you lined out).

+1 to this. I feel we have much much much bigger things to be thinking about than just labels. Maybe this was a misunderstanding of this mail thread but in all honesty who cares...

What is missing for me here however is "who picks these special
people".  I'm convinced that this does more to promote the idea of
"special" contributors than anything else.  Maybe that's actually what
you want, but it seemed based on your message that wasn't the case.

Anyway, core nominations are fairly objective in my opinion and is
*mostly* based on number of reviews and perceived quality of those
reviews (measured somewhat by disagreement rates etc).  What are the
metrics for this special group of folks that you're proposing we empower
and title as maintainers?  Do I get to be a "maintainer", is it reserved
for a special group of people, a specific company?  What's the criteria?
Do *you* get to be a "maintainer"?

What standards are *Maintainers* held to?  Who/How do we decide he/she
is doing their job?  Are there any rules about representation and
interests (keeping the team of people balanced).  What about the work by
those "maintainers" that introduces more/new bugs?

My feeling on this is that yes a lot of this sort of thing is happening
naturally on its own and that's a pretty cool thing IMO.  What you're
saying though is you want to formalize it?  Is the problem that people
don't feel like they're getting recognition or credit that they
deserve?  The "nobody wants to work on the not fun stuff" I kinda get,
and yeah.. that happens.  I'd argue though there are a good number of
people that are however jumping in on things outside of features.

+1 to this. There will always be people who will want to work on fun stuff and those who don't; it's the job of leadership in the community to direct people if they can (but also the same job of that leadership to understand that they can't direct everyone; it is open-source after all and saying 'no' to people just makes them run to some other project that doesn't do this...).

IMHO (and a rant probably better for another thread) but I've seen to many projects/specs/split-outs (ie, scheduler tweaks, constraint solving scheduler...) get abandoned because of cores saying this or that is the priority right now (and this in all honesty pisses me off); I don't feel this is right (cores should be leaders and guides, not dictators); if a core is going to tell anyone that then they better act as a guide to the person they are telling that to and make sure they lead that person they just told "no"; after all any child can say "no" but it takes a real man/woman to go the extra distance...

It's sort of funny looking back over the years.  We used to complain
over and over that "we don't have enough reviewers", and that "reviewing
is crucial but under appreciated work".  Since then there's all sorts of
people striving to spend time doing reviews and provide in some cases
real constructive feedback.

Now we seem to be saying "reviewing isn't where it's at, anybody can do
that; bug fixes is the new coolness".  I think there are others way to
address this by the way, possibly more effective ways.  Heck, you could
even do commit credits; it costs five bug fixes to the overall project
before you can commit a feature (ok, don't take me seriously there).

Maybe I'm misinterpreting some of this, maybe there's something in
between.  Regardless I personally need a good deal more detail before I
form my opinion.

+1 I should probably not write emails this late, ha.

Thanks,
John

​