On 12/05/15 09:57, Joe Gordon wrote:
When learning about how a project works one of the first things I look for is a brief architecture description along with a diagram. For most OpenStack projects, all I can find is a bunch of random third party slides and diagrams.

Most Individual OpenStack projects have either no architecture diagram or ascii art. Searching for 'OpenStack X architecture' where X is any of the OpenStack projects turns up pretty sad results. For example heat [0] an Keystone [1] have no diagram. Nova on the other hand does have a diagram, but its ascii art [2]. I don't think ascii art makes for great user facing documentation (for any kind of user).

So how can we do better then ascii art architecture diagrams?

How about ascii source diagrams?
[0] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/architecture.html
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/keystone/architecture.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/architecture.html

These are all sphinx generated documents, so we could use something like blockdiag to generate all manner of diagrams
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sphinxcontrib-blockdiag
http://blockdiag.com/en/