On 05/11/15 at 02:57pm, Joe Gordon wrote:
When learning about how a project works one of the first things I look for
is a brief architecture description along with a diagram. For most
OpenStack projects, all I can find is a bunch of random third party slides
and diagrams.

Most Individual OpenStack projects have either no architecture diagram or
ascii art. Searching for 'OpenStack X architecture' where X is any of the
OpenStack projects turns up pretty sad results. For example heat [0] an
Keystone [1] have no diagram. Nova on the other hand does have a diagram,
but its ascii art [2]. I don't think ascii art makes for great user facing
documentation (for any kind of user).

I'm not sure about the other two but the Nova example here is generated from a text file in the source tree. While some users may get to it via the website, I typically reference the devref locally through my editor and would like to have something that works in that case as well as on the website.

So how can we do better then ascii art architecture diagrams?

[0] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/architecture.html
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/keystone/architecture.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/architecture.html