On 5/15/15 1:13 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:

On 5/15/15 9:31 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
This seems more complicated than needed. If we just stop writing the
sqlalchemy-migrate scripts and don't change them, then for 1 cycle we
have to run both sets of migrations and after that we can just run
alembic.
Then we have a forever-in-perpetuity dependency on SQLAlchemy-Migrate which must be maintained forever for to maintain compatibility with all new SQLAlchemy, oslo.db, etc. releases, despite it never being used for anythine new, because it will be impossible to install an Openstack application without running through the first set of migrate scripts first.

The SQLAlchemy-Migrate dependency must be dropped and the project has to be EOL'ed at some point. Leaving it in is definitely the more complicated alternative.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. Maybe you mean, do the migrate->alembic compatibility thing in oslo.db, but then on the next release cycle, *do* rewrite the migrate files in Alembic and drop the migrate dependency? That is, if a site wants to upgrade from K -> N, they need to install and migrate each of K, L, M individually first...e.g. it's not expected that "N" can upgrade from an existing "K" install ?