On 06/02/2015 02:36 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
There used to be a project that I think was looking for an API like this to
provide a reservation system, Climate or Blazar or something.  There was brief
talk of providing something like it for that use case, but the idea was put on
the backburner to wait for the scheduling rework that's occurring.
The question in my mind is should the claim requests be in the Nova API or come
from a scheduler API.  And I tend to think that they should come from a
scheduler API.

Who owns the resources, nova or the scheduler?

In many cases only nova-compute can resolve races (resource tracking of specific CPU cores, specific PCI devices, etc. in the face of parallel scheduling) so unless we're going to guarantee no races then I think claim requests should be a nova API call, and it should go all the way down to nova-compute to make sure that the resources are actually claimed.

Chris